Friday, May 21, 2010

Technology that matters!

I like a technology when it helps; when it helps me, people around me, and the world at large. I like ATM when I look from that perspective. It has made my banking experience simpler.

I remember the time when many productive hours were wasted in bank, standing in queue, just to withdraw money. I remember  the time when I had to go around carrying a lot of cash. Well, that was difficult and insecure, considering risk of losing, pickpocket stealing, ..., especially in the crowd.  I remember the time when pickpocket stole my money.

For almost a decade by now, I always carry just enough cash only, with comfort that I can withdraw money from an ATM close by, wherever  (well, almost) I am in the world

I had my share of  bad experiences with ATMs but that has nothing to do with technology but rather with the people and system. For instance, I withdrew some money from Syndicate Bank a few months back and I got some paper instead of currency note. Cash counting device within ATM did not distinguish between the note and the paper. I reported this promptly to nearby branch; they gave sympathetic listening, and took my request but   but they have neither credited the amount to my account nor bothered to inform me. (I must admit that this was first and only such experience in past ten years of using ATMs)

Being born and brought up here, I understand that it happens, especially in this part of the world. I do not blame technology; it has more to do with people and systems than technology. We create technology and, naturally,  it has imperfections. Technology is not meant to replace people but only to help. People make difference; if they don't, technology cannot be blamed.

I found ATMs, during my visit to Kerala, even that places where I did not expect them. That is, ATMs are everywhere; reaching out even to villages. It is making difference, everywhere and to everyone cutting across rural/urban, rich/poor, literate/illiterate divides and I like it.

Hats off to the inventor