Tuesday, May 11, 2010

India, and the new world order

No more than a couple of decades back, India was considered to be 'land of bullock carts' or 'land of oriental mystics'. Pace of changes after globalization/liberalization since 1991 has, indeed, changed the face of India beyond recognition,in the emerging world order. Some of those are good while some others are not!

As an Indian, I am proud to see India basking in the new found glory yet it pains to observe that much of what has changed is only the face. I miss the bank officials in friendly neighbourhood of old times. When I go to the bank now, it costs me more (any time banking.. It is for my convenience or bank's?)

I am glad to see computing reach out to rural India in the form of mobile phones but I am sad to see that they still live in miserable conditions. It pains because what goes around in the name of development is breaking apart the social fabric and development is tearing apart the social fabric. It raises fundamental questions and development, without addressing these, is not sustainable.

Deep within India is still the same. To know what I mean, get closer to the life of an average Indian. I am not referring to the Indian that you find in Airports walking around with laptops, iPhones and what not. That is only a small fraction. Rest of India is still starving

Yes, World is going through a turmoil triggered by a chain of economic crises and that raises fundamental questions. I believe India does hold answers to many of them but, before that, we have a long way to go to keep our house in order.