Thursday, October 28, 2010

Lamenting nostalgia of future!

Recently, I was teaching my kids about reflection and refraction of light. I was more than amused when they told me that they have not yet seen a rainbow except in silver screen or TV. Innocent question suddenly lured me years back into enchanting memories; to a past when life was so simple

I was brought up in Tripunithura, a suburb of Kochi (formerly Cochin). In the times of yore, I could eternally watch majestic approach of rain as benevolent rain gods showered his incessant love on us, gifting a loads of ripe, sweet mangos in a gentle breeze. Mythological stars of folklore of my land used to share space with Sherlock Homes and James Bond to live in my dreams, without grudges and squabbles of ethnic, racial, linguistic, religious divides.

Stop, my mind, please! World has moved far ahead than you have! Don't waste precious time, looking back and lamenting! Myths emerging out of painting to give caressing care of love to an innocent youth is long lost, in the blinding wisdom of modernity. Cuddling care and fond touch of nature is replaced by lullabies mechanically aired by wonders of electronics.

Yet, here I am, drifting across continents, fervently searching for the soul of Shakespere and Shelly; the soul that my teachers, who devoted their time and passion into archives of knowledge, showed me. Did I hear you say 'Much ado about nothing'?

I realize, rather late though, that separated by time and distance they may be but separated at heart, they were not.

Is my heart bleeding at the sharp cutting edge of technology? In the hope of reaching to the moon far away, have we missed the beauty of flower at our feet? As the lure of past is laid to rest in grim solitude of my mind, I heard a mysteriously distinct voice asking me quo vadis?'