Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Character, Integrity and Reputation

I came across an interesting write up on the subject. This was pointed to me by one of my friends in facebook

I like the analogy. Taking it further, I would say that integrity is part of character. Character is part of being oneself, being true to yourself to the people around you, and to the world at large. Reputation and respect are fruits of the tree, that is yourself. Character is the seed that grow into making you.

Character determines your behavior. Behavior and performance earns you reputation respect. Interestingly, visibility is in the reverse order. Reputation and respect is the most visible properties of the lot. Character is only visible who cares to see, and it takes time to understand. Character is the true strength, and it is internal; not an item for demonstration. It makes itself visible in a subtle manner through behavior

Well, what it takes to have character? I believe, it is partly nature and partly nurture; nurtured by experience with parents, friends, ..